Chamois Cream Original Recipe
by Old Bone Machine
This is my original chamois cream recipe. Apply the cream directly onto the chamois or onto the body for a long, smooth, comfortable ride. No saddle sores and it will keep you smelling nice.
All ingredients are readily available from your local chemist. The recipe below makes 500ml of chamois cream.
- 250g Aqueous Cream (made by David Craig, 500g container)
- 250g Dermeze Ointment (made by Aspen Pharmacare Australia, 500g container)
- 30-50ml Witch Hazel
- Essential Oils*: Orange, Lavender, Vetiver
*You can use your own choice of oil, however do ensure that they are suitable for sensitive skin areas.
- A medium-sized glass or stainless steel bowl
- A stainless steel mixing spoon
- Measuring spoons
- Enough clean, dry, recycled jars (with lids) to make 500ml
Combine the aqueous cream and ointment in the bowl. Add about 30ml (2 tablespoons) of the witch hazel liquid slowly into the mixture until you get a soft and creamy mixture. The amount of witch hazel may vary depending on the brand of aqueous cream you use. Now mix in the essential oils. The original recipe uses 11 drops orange, 7 drops lavender and 3 drops vetiver. The vetiver has a very strong, woody scent, so only 3 drops are needed. Fill up your jars and you’re ready to ride.